21 May (Sunday)
Vedic Ritu/ Grishma
Drik Ritu: Grishma (Summer)
पक्ष :: Shuklapaksh
Vikram Samvat – 2080
Shaka Samvat – 1945
Month: Jyeshta 16, (Purnimanta)
Jyeshta 02, (Amanta)
Nakshatra: Rohini (up to 9:04 am) Mrigashirsha
Tithi: Dwitiya (up to 10:09 pm) Tritiya
Rahu: 05:20 PM – 06:59 PM
Yamaganda: 12:23 PM – 02:02 PM
India doesn’t need notes larger than ₹500: Ex-RBI Deputy Governor
TODAYS TOP NEWS
- The 3rd Environment and Climate Sustainability Working Group (ECSWG) meeting will begin in Mumbai on Sunday. The main focus of this meeting will be on steering the discussions around Communique with a more outcome driven approach.
- Government has said that cashless treatment facilities will now be available to all Central Government Health Scheme, CGHS beneficiaries at six fully functional AIIMS in Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Patna, Jodhpur, Raipur and Rishikesh.
- In a significant move towards effective governance, the National Capital Territory of Delhi (Amendment) Ordinance, 2023 to constitute National Capital Civil Services Authority. Itvis to recommend transfers, postings of Group ‘A’ and DANICS officers. This authority plays a crucial role in the transfer and disciplinary proceedings.
- Union Minister for Chemicals and Fertilisers Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya will inaugurate the 8th edition of the International Conference on ‘India Pharma and India Medical Device 2023’ on the 26th of this month.
- The Sagar Parikrama Yatra Phase-V, an ambitious initiative by the Government of India, was recently launched by Union Minister Parshottam Rupala. This phase aims to address the challenges faced by fishermen and other stakeholders, promoting their economic upliftment.
- Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs and Culture Arjun Ram Meghwal has been assigned the independent charge as Minister of State in the Ministry of Law and Justice in addition to his existing portfolios.
- Telangana Home Minister launches ‘SAHAS’ an initiative towards making workplaces safer for women.
- Newly-elected Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Saturday issued an order to implement Anna Bhagya Yojana in the state, which provides 10 kilograms of rice free of cost to each member of BPL families per month. The CM also announced monthly financial assistance of ₹2,000 to the woman head of every household in the state.
- The Karnataka Assembly session will be convened for three days from May 22.
- The Assam government on Saturday directed teachers of all educational institutions to follow a dress code and said they won’t be allowed to wear t-shirts, jeans and leggings.
- “Male teachers should attend their duties in appropriate formal attire only,” a notification read. It added that female teachers should attend their duties in a decent salwar suit or saree or mekhela-chador.
- Former Punjab CM Charanjit Singh Channi, aged 60, received his PhD in Political Science from Panjab University in Chandigarh.
- The portals of Hemkund Sahib shrine in the Garhwal Himalayas of Uttarakhand were opened for devotees on Saturday. The shrine remains closed in winter as it is covered with snow.
- The Domestic air passenger traffic in April 2023 rose by 22.2%, as compared to April 2022, to about 1.29 crore, DGCA data showed
- Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Friday said it has seized funds worth Rs 8.26 crore of a Bengaluru-based online education company, fully owned and controlled by Chinese nationals, as part of a probe linked to the alleged contravention of the foreign exchange law.
- The funds of Pigeon Education Technology Private Limited have been seized under Section 37A of the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA).
- Former NCB officer Sameer Wankhede was questioned for around five hours by the CBI on Saturday, a day after the Bombay High Court directed the central agency not to take any coercive action against him in its bribery case till May 22.
- A nine 9-yr-old Jaipur boy trapped in 70-ft borewell rescued after 7 hrs.
$ USD ₹.82.91
💷 GBP ₹.103.11
GDP rate (2023): 6.15%
Inflation rate: 5.66%
Population: 141.81 cr (17.7% of the total world population).
BSE Sensex: 61,729.68 +297.94 (0.48%)🔺
NIFTY: 18,203.40 +73.45 (0.41%)🔺
Rates in Financial Capital Mumbai
GOLD: ₹ 60,900/10gm (24 krt)
SILVER: ₹ 74,300/KG
⛽ FUEL in DELHI
PETROL: ₹ 97/Ltr
DIESEL: ₹ 90/Ltr
CNG: ₹ 74/Ltr
LPG: ₹ 1103/14.2 Kg
⛽ FUEL in MUMBAI
PETROL: ₹ 107/Ltr
DIESEL: ₹ 95/Ltr
Auto Gas: ₹ 60/Ltr
CNG: ₹ 79/Ltr
LPG: ₹ 1103/14.2 Kg
- The RBI’s sudden announcement of withdrawing ₹2,000 notes from circulation triggered a massive political backlash with the opposition leaders questioning the about-turn seven years after the denomination was introduced in 2016.
- The withdrawal of ₹2,000 notes will not have any “perceptible effect” on economy, former NITI Aayog VC Arvind Panagariya said. “Any currency in ₹2,000 notes returned will be replaced by either equivalent cash in lower denomination notes or a deposit. So money supply will not be impacted.
- Finance Ministry says no Tax Collection at Source (TCS) on overseas payments via debit or credit cards up to Rs 7 lakh per year.
- PM Modi praised the historic step of making aviation fuel from ethanol and launch of India’s first domestic commercial flight on indigenous feedstock and Sustainable Aviation Fuel.
- JSW Steel said its board has approved the company’s plan to raise ₹17,000 crore through various financial instruments including convertible securities and non-convertible debentures.
- Kerala-based Federal Bank’s CEO Shyam Srinivasan said the bank is planning to raise about ₹4,000 crore in the next few months. The funding, which would boost the bank’s expansion, could be through debt or equity or a combination of both, Srinivasan stated.
- Adah Sharma-starrer The Kerala Story is on its way to earn Rs 200 crore at the box office now. Despite several controversies, the film has emerged as the second highest-grossing Hindi film of 2023.
- Samatha to marry debutant actor Kalyan, son of renowned RRR movie producer DVV Danayya. According to reports, the marriage took place at N Convention Center in Madhapur, Hyderabad on 20 May.
- Hrithik Roshan on Saturday wished Jr NTR on his birthday via Twitter. In his tweet, he seemingly confirmed that the ‘RRR’ star will join him in ‘War 2.
- A special screening of ‘The Kerala Story’ was held at Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune amid a protest by the students’ association.
- Filmmaker Anurag Kashyap’s 22-year-old daughter Aaliyah got engaged to her American boyfriend Shane Gregoire.
- The fourth edition of the Indo-Indonesia bilateral Exercise Samudra Shakti-23 concluded in the South China Sea.
- The sea phase held from May 17 to 19, 2023 witnessed the participation of Anti Submarine Warfare corvette INS Kavaratti with an integral Chetak helicopter and a Dornier Maritime Patrol Aircraft.
- The country’s first Indian Airforce Heritage Centre in Sector 18 has seen a footfall of over 2,600 people, bringing in a revenue of ₹2.7 lakh for the UT tourism department. Union defence minister Rajnath Singh had inaugurated the centre, on May 8.
- The Indian Navy’s Project-75, aimed at enhancing its submarine fleet, has reached a significant milestone with the commencement of sea trials for the sixth Scorpene Submarine. Named Vaghsheer, this submarine sets the stage for further strengthening the country’s naval capabilities.
- The Indian Navy recently achieved a significant milestone with its newest helicopter, the MH-60R, also known as Romeo. The helicopter successfully carried out its maiden landing and take-off from INS Kolkata, an indigenously designed and constructed destroyer.
- Indian Navy and Royal Saudi Naval Force Collaborate for Maiden Afloat Training of Saudi Cadet. 55 trainees from King Fahd Naval Academy in Kochi for 24-day operation.
- The Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) and Larsen & Toubro (L&T), a private sector firm, are jointly developing the light tank Zorawar. This collaborative effort aims to enhance India’s defense capabilities in the mountainous border regions.
- Operation Karuna: INS Gharial delivers medical supplies for people of cyclone-hit Myanmar.
✈ INTERNATIONAL NEWS
- PM Modi attends G7 Summit in Hiroshima, Japan and holds bilateral meetings with top leaders of Japan, South Korea and Vietnam.
- PM Modi met Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky in Hiroshima on Saturday on the sidelines of the G-7 Summit.
- Japan has expressed keen interest in joining India’s Unified Payments Interface (UPI) system.
🌎 WORLD NEWS 🌍
- The 76th World Health Assembly, a significant global health event, is scheduled to be held from May 21 to May 30 in Geneva, Switzerland.
- China and Russia have reached an important agreement that will enhance their economic cooperation and strengthen bilateral ties. The agreement focuses on the utilization of the Russian port, Vladivostok, as a transit hub for domestic shipments from China.
- U.S. President Joe Biden told G-7 leaders that the country will support providing advanced warplanes including F-16s to Ukraine.
- Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) has reportedly created a ‘hit list’ targeting senior political leaders like Interior Minister Rana Sanaullah and PML-N party vice president and former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif’s daughter Maryam. The list also includes top military and intelligence officials.
- A tourist plane crashed in a mountainous area of Switzerland on Saturday, with several people being reported dead.
INDIAN PREMIER LEAGUE 2023
(a) Delhi Capitals vs Chennai Super Kings, 67th Match
Chennai Super Kings won by 77 runs
CSK – 223/3 (20)
DC – 146/9 (20)
Player of the Match
(b) Kolkata Knight Riders vs Lucknow Super Giants, 68th Match
Lucknow Super Giants won by 1 run
LSG – 176/8 (20)
KKR – 175/7 (20)
Player of the Match
(d) May 21, Sunday
Mumbai Indians vs Sunrisers Hyderabad
69th Match at Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai
15:30 IST / 10:00 GMT
(e) Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Gujarat Titans
70th Match at M.Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bengaluru
19:30 IST / 14:00 GMT
- Pakistan’s Dutch hockey head coach Siegfried Aikman has resigned from his post after not getting paid for the last 12 months.
Formed : 1 May 1960
Districts : 16
Governor : Ramesh Bais
CM : Eknath Shinde
Bird: Yellow-footed green pigeon
Mammal: Indian giant squirrel
Tree : Mango tree
🇮🇳 FACTS ABOUT INDIA 🇮🇳
On this day (21 May) in the year 1991, former Prime Minister of India, Rajiv Gandhi, was assassinated by Thenmozhi Rajaratnam aka Dhanu, a suicide bomber, in Sriperumbudur near Chennai.
In the year 1994, Sushmita Sen became the first Indian to be crowned as Miss Universe.
😀Thought of the day
Have faith in yourself – all power is in you. Even the poison of a snake is powerless, if you can firmly deny it.
JOKE OF THE DAY
In a classroom Teacher asks a student to count from 0 to 10.
Student : 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Teacher : Where is 5?
Student: Yesterday I heard in the news that 5 died in a car accident…..🤥😱😷
What is the reason for The Ancient Practice Of Sprinkling Water Around Food Meant!
This ancient practise is believed to have started by sages in olden times, who spent most of their lives living in forest areas or in raw houses, where the floors weren’t concrete on which they sat and ate food. Moreover, the food was mostly served on banana plantains. The food was prone to be exposed to the muddy floor making it unhealthy; which is why water was sprinkled around the plates to settle the mud or dust particles down. Dirt contains bacteria that may contribute to allergic reactions and other health problems.
Another reason may be that sprinkling water was also a great way to keep insects and pests at bay, especially at night when there is barely any light. It is said that ants or any insect cannot cross or tread upon water.
यत् भावो – तत् भवति –
You become what you believe
🤔 HOW IT WORKS ⁉
What happens when you inhale carbon dioxide?
When CO2 is breathed into the lungs, it dissolves in the water there, diffuses across the alveolar-capillary membrane, and enters the bloodstream. As it combines with water, it forms carbonic acid, making the blood acidic. So CO2 in the bloodstream lowers the blood pH.
Normally, humans breathe in air that is approximately 20.95% oxygen, 78.09% nitrogen, 0.93% argon, and 0.04% (400 ppm) of carbon dioxide. Like CO2, oxygen also dissolves in the lungs and is transported to the blood via diffusion across the lung tissue (alveoli). Once in the blood, oxygen is carried throughout the body by the arteries, and is used in cell metabolism throughout the body. Carbon dioxide is given off as a by-product of cell metabolism and is carried by the blood through the venous system (veins) to the lungs. Here it is exhaled. The concentration of CO2 in each breath is ~3.8%, and the “average” person produces approximately two pounds of carbon dioxide each day. More CO2 is given off by strenuous activity.
When CO2 levels become excessive, a condition known as acidosis occurs. This is defined as the pH of the blood becoming less than 7.35. The body maintains the balance mainly by using bicarbonate ions in the blood. As the body responds to neutralize this condition, an electrolyte imbalance – an increase of plasma chloride, potassium, calcium and sodium, can occur. In the blood stream, CO2 concentration is also controlled by reversible reactions with two major blood components, plasma proteins and hemoglobin.
💁🏻♂ GK TODAY
21 May – National Anti-Terrorism Day
National Anti-Terrorism Day is observed every year on 21 May to spread awareness about the violence caused by the terrorists and also in the memory of former Indian PM Rajiv Gandhi who passed on this day.
Armed Forces Day (Third Saturday of the May) Armed Forces Day is celebrated on the third Saturday of every May. This day is celebrated to pay tribute to the men and women who served the United States Armed Forces.
BORN TODAY 🐣💐
Ashi Kesang Choden (born 21 May 1930) is the Queen Grandmother of Bhutan.
She participates in royal duties of her own accord.
She is the only queen grandmother in the world. In Bhutan she is called The Royal Grandmother.
🙏🏻 IDIOMS & PHRASES
Spill the beans
Give away a secret
Ally x Enemy
Appreciate – cherish, treasure
🛕 VEDIK GYAN
(Kindly inform, if given info is differ from actual facts🙏🏻)
VISHWAMITRA: Sage or rishi, who used Rama to kill troubling demons. Initially he was a Lodh king in ancient India. he is also credited as the author of most of Mandala 3 of the Rigveda, including Gayatri Mantra. His daughter was Shakuntala (from Menaka) from where Mahabharat story begins and also father of Sushruta (father of plastic surgery)
🧬 HEALTH CARE: HOME REMEDIES🩺
(Note: These home tips followed in villages/ancient traditions, it is up to you to use it or not🙏🏻)
Vitamin C found in lemons may help reduce skin wrinkling, dry skin from aging, and damage from the sun.
Drinking warm or hot lemon water when you wake up may help get your digestive system moving. It supports weight loss.
The citric acid in lemons may help prevent kidney stones.
CH Nαʋҽҽɳ Kυɱαɾ…✒️
🙏 PLZ SHARE IT