20 Jul (Thursday)
Vedic Ritu/ Varsha
Drik Ritu : Varsha (Monsoon)
पक्ष :: Shuklapaksh
Vikram Samvat – 2080
Shaka Samvat – 1945
Month : Sravana 3, (Purnimanta)
Sravana 3, (Amanta)
Nakshatra: Ashlesha (up to 10:55 am) Magha
Tithi : Tritiya
Rahu : 02:12 PM – 03:51 PM
Yamaganda : 05:55 AM – 07:35 AM
Unknown amazing facts: https://youtu.be/0SVSILem3nI
TODAYS TOP NEWS
- President Smt Droupadi Murmu to inaugurate two-day Festival of Libraries 2023 in New Delhi.
- Bihar CM Nitish Kumar has denied any resentment in the newly formed opposition party alliance the I N D I A.
- Textiles ministry reopens performance-linked incentive (PLI) scheme portal till August 31 for man-made fibre (MMF) apparel.
- India reports a record 93% DPT3 immunisation coverage in 2022: World Health Organization said.
- National Commission for Scheduled Castes chairperson Vijay Sampla has tendered his resignation from the Constitutional body, Sources say he may contest the LS poll in 2024; the former Union Minister won the Hoshiarpur LS seat in 2014.
- Bihar’s Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Tej Pratap Yadav, the eldest son of former Bihar CM Lalu Prasad Yadav was hospitalised after complaining of chest pain.
- All private and government schools in Mumbai will be closed today (July 20) due to heavy rains. The IMD has issued a yellow alert for Mumbai.
- Congress chief Mallikarjun Kharge to host maiden( India National Developmental Inclusive Alliance) I.N.D.I.A meet at Rajya Sabha office on Thursday.
- Former Karnataka CM Basavaraj Bommai and other BJP leaders were detained for protesting against the suspension of 10 BJP MLAs from the Karnataka Assembly. Karnataka Assembly Speaker UT Khader suspended 10 BJP MLAs for throwing papers at Deputy Speaker Rudrappa Lamani.
- Andhra pradesh CM Y.S. Jagan Mohan Reddy has assured a meeting of Muslim leaders on Wednesday that his government will not take any decision that could hurt the sentiments of the minorities in AP.
- Railways will offer affordable meals and packaged water designed especially for general coach passengers. A ₹20 meal will include pooris with dry aloo and pickle. Another ₹50 meal will offer passengers something from an assortment of food such as rice, rajma, chole, khichdi, pav bhaji and masala dosa. Counters serving these meals will be on platforms aligning with general coaches.
- The local graziers of the Tawang region near Bumla Pass, Arunachal Pradesh, celebrated the Chachin grazing festival on July 14-15. The event was attended by nearly 100 graziers and their herd of yaks numbering more than 400.
- The police in Gautam Buddh Nagar district of Uttar Pradesh on Wednesday invoked restrictions on public assembly under section 144 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, ordering that no unpermitted religious activity, such as namaaz, puja or processions, would be carried out at public places and roads across Noida and Greater Noida.
- Justice Alok Aradhe was appointed the Chief Justice of the Telangana High Court by President Droupadi Murmu, after consultation with the Chief Justice of India.
Chief Justice of India: Shri Dhananjaya Y. Chandrachud
Minister Of Law & Justice: Arjun Ram Meghwal
- Two migrant workers were shot at by terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir’s Anantnag district on Tuesday. The injured have been shifted to a nearby hospital for treatment. There condition is reported to be stable.
- Bihar, the NIA has arrested a member of the banned organization Popular Front of India (PFI) from East Champaran district. Sultan Khan alias Yakoob, who was a trainer of PFI has been arrested by Central Agency from Bansghat.
- SEEMA HAIDER’s CASE: The UP DGP’s office has said that several items including four mobile phones, two video cassettes, five Pakistan-authorised passports, and one unused passport with incomplete name and address have been found in Seema Haider’s possession. One ID card has also been found with her and an investigation is ongoing, DGP’s office said. Haider illegally entered India with her four children.
- Central government on Wednesday said it was ready to discuss the Manipur violence in the Monsoon session of the Parliament. The Opposition has been demanding a discussion on the violence, which has killed at least 140 people.
- The Enforcement Directorate (ED) is carrying out searches at eight locations linked to the former promotor of Jet Airways, Naresh Goyal.
- A pilot and her husband were beaten up by a mob in southwest Delhi’s Dwarka for allegedly thrashing a 10-year-old girl working as a domestic help at their house.
- Enforcement Directorate on Wednesday said it has “taken possession” of a beach resort and its land in Maharashtra’s Ratnagiri worth Rs 10.2 crore as part of a money-laundering probe against Shiv Sena-Uddhav Balasaheb Thackeray leader and former state minister Anil Parab and others in a case linked to alleged irregularities with regard to coastal regulation laws.
- Tension mounted in the hills of Manipur after a video from May 4 surfaced on Wednesday showing two women from one of the warring communities being paraded naked by a few men from the other side.
- Manipur state has been witnessing ethnic clashes since May 3 between majority the Meiteis, concentrated in Imphal valley, and the Kukis, occupying the hills. Over 160 people have been killed in the violence so far.
- In Uttarakhand, 16 people have died, while, eleven others were injured due to electrocution near the Namami Gange project on the banks of the Alaknanda river in Chamoli district. The tragic incident took place in the morning inside a sewage treatment plant of the Namami Gange project site near the Alaknanda River when 16 people came under the grip of a high-voltage current and died on the spot.
- Jammu and Kashmir, at least eight people were killed due to floods and landslides triggered by heavy rains in the upper reaches of Kathua district of Jammu division.
- Himachal Pradesh rain claims 130 lives due to heavy rains, landslides, and floods.
Minister: Nirmala Sitharaman.
Commerce & Industry: Piyush Goyal
RBI Gvrnr: Shaktikanta Das
President of the World Bank: Ajay Banga
$ USD ₹ 82.07
💷 GBP ₹ 106.19
GDP rate (2023): 6.15%
Inflation rate: 4.7%
Population: 141.81 cr (17.7% of the total world population).
BSE Sensex: 67,097.44 +302.30 (0.45%)🔺
NIFTY: 19,833.15 +83.90 (0.42%)🔺
Rates in Financial Capital Mumbai
GOLD: ₹ 60,650/10gm (24 krt)
SILVER: ₹ 78,400/KG
⛽ FUEL in DELHI
PETROL: ₹ 97/Ltr
DIESEL: ₹ 90/Ltr
CNG: ₹ 74/Ltr
LPG: ₹ 1103/14.2 Kg
⛽ FUEL in MUMBAI
PETROL: ₹ 107/Ltr
DIESEL: ₹ 95/Ltr
Auto Gas: ₹ 60/Ltr
CNG: ₹ 79/Ltr
LPG: ₹ 1103/14.2 Kg
- Ministry of Coal has extended the last date for registration and self-evaluation for star rating of Coal and Lignite Mines from 15th to 25th of this month.
- Department of Consumer Affairs has directed NCCF and NAFED to sell tomatoes at a retail price of 70 rupees per kg rate in view of the declining trend in tomato prices. The tomatoes procured by NCCF and NAFED had been retailed at 90 rupees per kg initially and then reduced to 80 rupees per kg from 16th July.
- Surat, Gujarat, the gem capital of India, has surpassed the United States by hosting the world’s largest office building – the ‘Surat Diamond Bourse.’
- SJVN Limited has been honored with the 1st Prize in the Swachhta Pakhwada Awards 2023 by the Ministry of Power. NL Sharma, the Chairman & Managing Director (CMD) of SJVN, received the award from Pankaj Agarwal, the Secretary of the Ministry of Power, during a ceremony held in New Delhi.
- Chennai Metro inks ₹1,205-crore contract agreement with Tata Projects for stations.
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) retains India’s growth forecast at 6.4% for current fiscal.
- Rajay Kumar Sinha has officially assumed the position of Chief at SBI Capital Markets Limited (SBICAPS).
- Meta and Microsoft have jointly announced the expansion of their artificial intelligence partnership by introducing their new large language model (LLM) called “Llama 2“. This cutting-edge language model is now available for both research and commercial use, making it a potential competitor to ChatGPT (OpenAI) and Bard (Google).
- Tata Group will build an electric vehicle battery plant in the UK to supply its Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) factories. Production is due to start in 2026 to supply JLR’s future battery-electric models, including the Range Rover, Defender, Discovery and Jaguar brands.
Information and Broadcasting Minister: Shri Anurag Singh Thakur
Chairman of Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC): Prasoon Joshi
- Former Member of Parliament and Kannada actor Ramya alias Divya Spandana has sent a legal notice to the team behind the film ‘Hostel Hudugaru Bekagiddare’ claiming that her photos and videos were used for the promotion of the movie without her consent. The former Mandya MP has sought Rs 1 crore compensation from the film crew.
- Actress Samantha Ruth Prabhu, who has reportedly taken a break from work to focus on her health, shared pictures from her visit to Isha Yoga Centre in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu. The photos show her meditating with Sadhguru’s directions.
- Telugu Actor Rajashekar and his actress-wife Jeevitha were on Wednesday sentenced to two years imprisonment and imposed a Rs 5,000 penalty in a defamation suit filed against them for their allegations against Chiranjeevi Blood Bank in 2011. Meanwhile, the actor-duo was granted bail by the same court so as to give them time to appeal the order.
Minister: Rajnath Singh
Union Home: Amit Shah
National Security Advisor: Ajit Doval
Chief of Defence Staff:
Gen Anil Chauhan, PVSM UYSM AVSM SM VSM
- Argentina’s Defence Minister, Jorge Enrique Taiana is in India for a 4-day visit and held talks with Indian Defence Minister Rajnath Singh to expand the defence cooperation and defence industrial partnership.
- The defence deal revolves around the requirement of 15 units of combat jets by the Argentine Air Force for which India has pitched its indigenously built HAL TEJAS MK-1.
- Designed and manufactured by the state-owned firm, Hindustan Aeronautical Limited (HAL), TEJAS MK-1 is considered to be one the most compact in the light combat aircraft category.
- The defence acquisition council (DAC) cleared the Indian Navy’s proposals to acquire 26 Rafale-M jets and three submarines from France.
- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Stethem (DDG 63) conducted a Cooperative Deployment (CODEP) with the Indian Navy following the ship’s port visit to Goa on July 18.
- INDIAN ARMY to introduce K-9 vajra guns & spike missiles in eastern ladakh amid standoff. More than 100 of these guns, supplied by the L&T group from its Hazara plant. Additionally, 114 guns developed and produced by the former Ordnance Factory Board are set to join the Indian Army, further bolstering its artillery capabilities.
- The third meeting of the Working Group on Military Cooperation of the Indian-Russian Intergovernmental Commission on Military and Military-Technical Cooperation concluded at Manekshaw Centre in New Delhi.
- In a remarkable tribute to commemorate 24 years of victory over Pakistan in the Kargil War of 1999, the Indian Army launched the Tri-Services ‘Nari Sashaktikaran Women Motorcycle Rally.’ This rally not only celebrates the historic triumph but also shines a light on the indomitable spirit of women.
- The first ‘Made-in-India’ C-295 transport aircraft has begun production at Tata Advanced Systems Limited (TASL’s) facility at Hyderabad, even as Airbus prepares to deliver the first C-295 produced at its Seville factory in Spain before September end.
- India, in September 2021, signed a deal with Airbus to buy 56 C-295M transport aircraft worth $2.5 billion. These 56 aircraft will replace the IAF’s ageing Avro HS748 transport aircraft.
- Fire Accident In The Siachen Glacier: The incident took place at around 3 AM yesterday. The injured have been safely evacuated from there to hospital. Further details on the incident are awaited.
✈ INTERNATIONAL NEWS
External affairs Minister: Subrahmanyam Jaishankar
- Top Chinese diplomat Wang Yi in his meeting with External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar in Jakarta has said that both countries should find a mutually acceptable solution to the border problem without letting “specific issues” define the overall relationship.
- Three major infrastructural projects will be launched by Bangladesh with Indian assistance during Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s visit to India for the G20 summit in September this year.
- India will host the ASEAN Countries Conference on Traditional Medicines in New Delhi tomorrow. The India-ASEAN conference is being held after almost a decade, and ten ASEAN countries including Cambodia, and Vietnam will participate in it.
- 105 trafficked antiquities of India returns to India from USA.
- PM Modi said, these precious artefacts hold immense cultural and religious significance and their homecoming is a testament to the government’s commitment to preserving India’s heritage and rich history.
- India made a presentation on e-Shram, the world’s largest database of unorganized workers and National Career Service (NCS) Portal at the 4th Employment Working Group (EWG) meeting under India’s G20 Presidency at Indore, Madhya Pradesh. The delegates from Indonesia and Brazil also made statements in the opening session.
- Purbanchal Cancer Hospital of eastern Nepal to collaborate with Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Hospital, New Delhi for improved cancer treatment for Nepali patients.
- Ahead of his scheduled visit to India, Sri Lankan President Ranil Wickremesinghe praised India’s growth under the leadership of PM Narendra Modi. Wickremesinghe also said that he would like to see the Indian rupee used as much as the US dollar.
🌎 WORLD NEWS 🌍
UNO Gen. Secy: António Guterres.
- Chinese President Xi Jinping for the past some time has been issuing warnings regarding the collapse of the Communist Party of China (CCP) amidst 415 million across the world renouncing their affiliation with CCP, regiments, teams, and other associated organisations since July 1 this year.
- Six personnel of the Peshawar Frontier Corps (FC) sustained injuries in a blast as their convoy came under attack in Peshawar’s Hayatabad area.
- Red alerts for extreme heat in Italy’s main cities as heatwave intensifies in Europe. Parts of the Italian islands of Sardinia and Sicily will be the hottest again, with highs of around 46C or 47C.
- South Africa’s presidency said that Russian President Vladimir Putin will not attend the summit of the BRICS group of nations in South Africa in August by mutual agreement.
- In Kenya: Protesters hurled stones at police in Kibera as protest begins against tax hikes.
- Pakistan gets another USD 600 million loan from China.
- UK Inflation rate to 15-month low at 7.9%, Bank of England may hike interest rate.
- UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak apologised on behalf of the UK government for the past ban on LGBT people in the armed forces in the House of Commons on Wednesday. “The ban on LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) people serving in our military until…2000 was an appalling failure of the British state,” said Sunak.
Minister: Shri Anurag Singh Thakur
BCCI president: Roger Binny
Hockey India President: Dilip Tirkey
16th President of the Indian Olympic Association: P. T. Usha
- BADMINTON: KOREA OPEN SUPER 500 TOURNAMENT
- (a) Indian shuttler H.S. Prannoy advanced to the second round of the Korea Open Super 500 tournament, at Yeosu, Korea. Prannoy defeated J. Carraggi of Belgium 21-13, 21-17.
- (b) Priyanshu Rajawat also advanced to the second round of the men’s singles event.
- (c) PV Sindhu and Kidambi Srikanth were eliminated in the opening round.
- (d) Men’s doubles, N Sikki Reddy and Rohan Kapoor, who won the Victor Denmark Masters international challenge in June, advanced to the second round with a 21-17, 21-17 win over Alvin Morada and Alyssa Ysabel Leonardo of the Philippines.
- In women’s cricket, India defeated Bangladesh by 108 runs in the second ODI, being played at Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium in Mirpur, Dhaka. Chasing a victory target of 229 runs, the hosts were bundled out for 120 runs in 35.1 overs.
- Indian Surf Team won the bronze medal at the Asian Surfing Championship, held at Thulisdhoo Island in Maldives. 18 countries from Asia took part in this championship. Srikanth from Kovalam, Tamil Nadu made it to the semi-finals in the Men’s Category.
- Indian Surfers will now get ready for the first-ever World Surfing League (WSL) event in India to be held in Mahabalipuram in Tamil Nadu from August 14 to 20 this year.
- The IOA said the final assessment of India’s wrestling contingent for upcoming Asian Games will be made prior to players’ departure for China to “maximise chances of sending the most competitive team”. It added “the selection process for wrestlers to participate in Asiad is designed to be fair, transparent and in accordance with guidelines set forth by the international federation.
Lieutenant governor: Tamilisai Soundararajan
CM: N. Rangaswamy
In India there are 28 states and 8 Union territories.
Population of India: 142 cr (2023)
President of India: Smt Droupadi Murmu
Vice President: Shri Jagdeep Dhankhar
Prime Minister: Shri Narendra Modi
Speaker Lok Sabha: Shri Om Birla (BJP)
Rajyasabha Seats: 245 (233 Elected + 12 Nominated)
Loksabha : 550 members (530 States + 20 Union Territories)
Chief Election Commissioner: Shri Rajiv Kumar
🇮🇳 FACTS ABOUT INDIA 🇮🇳
Early forms of chess originated in India around the 6th century AD. It known as chaturaṅga, literally four divisions [of the military] – infantry, cavalry, elephants, and chariotry ─ represented by pieces which would later evolve into the modern pawn, knight, bishop, and rook, respectively. Chaturanga is first known from the Gupta Empire in India around the 6th century CE. In the 7th century, it was adopted as chatrang (shatranj) in Sassanid Persia, which in turn was the form of chess brought to late-medieval Europe.
Archeological remains from 2000-3000 B.C have been found from the city of Lothal (of the Indus Valley Civilisation) of pieces on a board that resemble chess.
Wilhelm Steinitz, the first World Champion, widely considered the “father of modern chess,” William Steinitz was an Austrian and later American chess player, and the first official World Chess Champion, from 1886 to 1894.
😀Thought of the day
Anger comes alone but takes away all the good qualities from us.
Patience too comes alone but brings all good qualities to us. Choice is our’s.
JOKE OF THE DAY
पप्पू – मां और बीवी में सबसे बड़ा फर्क क्या है?
गप्पू – पता नहीं, तुम बताओ।
पप्पू – मां बोलना सिखाती है और बीवी चुप रहना🤫🙄🤪
Science behind Throwing Coins into the River/water
scientifically, in the ancient times, most of the currency used was made of copper unlike the stainless steel coins of today. Copper is a vital metal very useful to the human body. Throwing coins in the river was one way our fore-fathers ensured we intake sufficient copper as part of the water as rivers were the only source of drinking water. This water also keeps our body healthy and free from disease’s, Making it a custom ensured that all of us follow the practice.
But now a days people throw coins made by steel in water, not knowing why they are doing it🤦🏻♂️🙏🏻.
विस्मरण : Oblivion
🤔 HOW IT WORKS ⁉
Honeycombs🐝🐝 are made from beeswax, a substance created by worker bees. When the temperature is right, worker bees secrete wax scales from special glands in their body. Then they chew the wax with a bit of honey and pollen to produce the beeswax.
Why do honeybees use hexagonal shapes to construct their honeycombs?
Hexagons are useful shapes. They can hold the queen bee’s eggs and store the pollen and honey the worker bees bring to the hive. When you think about it, making circles wouldn’t work too well. It would leave gaps in the honeycomb
Honey provides bees with the energy they need to survive and reproduce, as well as to build their homes. In order to make enough wax, worker bees need a lot of energy, and must therefore consume a lot of honey.
On average, each bee can produce about 1/12 of a teaspoon of honey in its lifetime. If a bee were to provide one pound of honey, it would need to visit about 2 million flowers. A whole colony may travel about 55,000 miles in its lifetime!
Honey include ascorbic acid, pantothenic acid, niacin and riboflavin; along with minerals such as calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium and zinc.
💁🏻♂ GK TODAY
20 July – International Chess Day*
It is observed on 20 July to honour the foundation of the Federation Internationale des Eches (FIDES).
GM Magnus Carlsen is the current world chess champion. He is a Norwegian chess grandmaster
Viswanathan Anand is an Indian chess grandmaster & former world chess champion. He became the first grandmaster from India in 1988,
BORN TODAY 🐣💐
(20-Jul-1988, Ambedkar Nagar district, Uttar Pradesh) is the World’s first female amputee to climb Mount Everest is an Indian mountain climber & sportswoman.
She is a seven time Indian volley ball player, mountaineer and the World’s first female amputee to scale Mount Everest, Mount Kilimanjaro (South Africa), Mount Elbrus (Russia), Mount Kosciusko (Australia), Mount Aconcagua (South America), Carstensz Pyramid (Indonesia) and Mount Vinson. She was pushed from a running train by some robbers in 2011 while she was resisting them. As a result, her left leg had to be amputated below the knee, rod’s in right leg and multiple fractures in spinal cord.Her aim was to climb each of the continents’ highest peaks and hoist the national flag of India.
🙏🏻 IDIOMS & PHRASES
Bits and Pieces– small things of different types
Acumen: Stupidity, ignorance
Acumen: Awareness, brilliance
🛕 VEDIK GYAN
(Kindly inform, if given info is differ from actual facts🙏🏻)
Why is half round (Pradakshina) made around the Shiva linga?
According to Shivpuran, only a half-parikrama of Shivalinga should be carried out. This is because Shiva is Anadi and Anant himself. It’s said that Shiva’s Shakti is so fierce that none could ever interfere or come in the line of it. Nirmili is a sacred part of the Shivling and must never be over-stepped. Therefore, it is advised to only perform half-parikrama of Shivlinga to avoid stepping over the Nirmili.
By Somasutra is meant the Half Moon like curve that is traced out in the process.
🧬 HEALTH CARE: HOME REMEDIES🩺
(Note: These home tips followed in villages/ancient traditions, it is up to you to use it or not🙏🏻)
Burns. Honey has been used as a salve to heal burns.
Memory : honey can improve both short- and long-term memory
Diabetes : Honey has a lower glycemic index than sugar, which means it won’t spike your blood sugar levels the way sugar will.
Hemorrhoids cause itching and pain in the anus, as well as blood in the stool. They are never fun. If you’re looking for a home remedy, honey might fit the bill. A pilot study using a mixture of honey, olive oil, and beeswax as a topical treatment found that the mixture significantly reduced pain and itching, as well as bleeding.
CH Nαʋҽҽɳ Kυɱαɾ…✒️
🙏 *PLZ SHARE IT