Today’s top news
- Celebrations have begun for the festival of harvest across the country. The harvest festival is referred to different names in different parts of the country such as Pongal in Tamil Nadu, Makara Sankranti in Gujarat, West Bengal, and Karnataka and Bihu in Assam. The festival of harvest, Lohri, is being celebrated today in North India especially in Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Delhi, Jammu and Chandigarh.
- President Ram Nath Kovind, Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu and Prime Minister Narendra Modi have extended their greetings and wishes to the citizens on the occasion of Lohri, Makar Sankranti, Pongal, Bhogali Bihu, Uttarayan and Paush Parva.
- Magh Mela to begin in Prayagraj from Makar Sankranti; which is one of the world’s biggest religious congregations that takes place at the ‘Sangam’ in Uttar Pradesh’s Prayagraj.
- Basic tax exemption limit may be raised in Budget 2021 . The exemption limit for an individual income tax payee to Rs 5 lakh from Rs 2.50 lakh.
- Bird flu: Sale of chicken, egg-based dishes banned at restaurants in parts of Delhi
- PM Modi to launch COVID-19 vaccination drive is all set to launch the mega vaccination drive virtually on January 16. PM Modi will also be launching the CoWIN application on the same day. States to get 1.1 cr COVISHIELD, 55 lakh COVAXIN doses by Jan 14
- The Supreme Court has put a stay on the implementation of three new farm laws until further orders. “The implementation of the three farm laws 1) Farmers’ Produce Trade and Commerce (Promotion and Facilitation) Act, 2020; (2) Essential Commodities (Amendment) Act, 2020; and (3) Farmers (Empowerment and Protection) Agreement on Price Assurance and Farm Services Act, 2020,
- The Centre has also accepted the fact that Khalistan supporters have infiltrated the farmers’ protest against the three farm laws.
- Union Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar on Wednesday spoke on the completion of five years of Pradhan Mantri Fasal Beema Yojana . The scheme was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in 2016, with an aim to provide insurance coverage and financial support to the farmers suffering.
- Madhya Pradesh hooch tragedy : Atleast six more people died after consuming spurious liquor in Madhya Pradesh’s Morena district on Wednesday (January 13, 2021), taking the total death toll to 20. While Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan held a review meeting on the situation on Wednesday and issued orders for the removal of the collector and superintendent of police.
- Public and Private Health Facilities across the country were on January 12, 2021 felicitated with Centre’s Kayakalp award for high standards of Sanitation and Hygiene. The government had launched a National Initiative ‘Kayakalp’ on 15th May 2015 to ensure hygiene, sanitation and cleanliness in Public Health Facilities in the country.
- Union Minister of State for Defence Shripad Naik, who is currently under treatment at Goa Medical college after meeting with an accident, has been taken off from ventilator support and shifted to high flow nasal oxygen. Union Minister of State for Defence, had met with an accident near a village in Ankola Taluk of Uttara Kannada district in Karnataka on Monday.
- Seer Swami Harshanandaji Maharaj of the Ramakrishna Math at Basavanagudi, Bengaluru, dies aged 91, PM Narendra Modi shares condolence message.
- Cold wave grips Delhi, mercury dips to 3.2 degrees Celsius
- Delhi govt allows schools to reopen for classes 10, 12 from January 18 . The schools have been asked only to call students with the consent of the parents and follow all the Covid-19 precautions.
- Government of Odisha has waived the examination fees for matriculation students of the ongoing academic session.
- In a big boost for the Indian Air Force and PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make in India’ initiative, the Cabinet Committee on Security on Wednesday cleared the purchase of Light Combat Aircraft Tejas from the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL). The Rs 48,000 crore deal will be the biggest ever in the indigenous military aviation sector.
- Women will be inducted as pilots in the Army Aviation Corps from next year, Indian Army Chief General Manoj Mukund Naravane said
- DRDO develops India’s first indigenous machine pistol ASMI , it is set to replace 9 mm pistols of Indian Army.
- ‘Shakti’: Indian Army major makes world’s first flexible bulletproof vest for both male and female combatants.
- 150-m crossborder tunnel detected by BSF along IB in J&K during an anti-tunnelling operation in Bobiyaan village of Hirnagar sector.
- Suspected Militants Lob Grenade at CRPF Party In Srinagar’s Rainawari Area, No Casualty Reported.
- Coronavirus Cases:10,502,332
- BSF to erect High Tech ‘BOLD-QIT'(Smart Fence) on Indo-Bangla border along North Bengal.
- India’s National Security Adviser Ajit Doval on Wednesday made a previously unannounced visit to Afghanistan for talks on strategic issues with the leadership in Kabul against the backdrop of a spike in violence blamed on the Taliban.
- India, Turkmenistan agree to deepen Cooperation In UN, Multilateral Arena.
- Bangladesh Armed Forces delegation in India to participate in Republic Day parade
A contingent of 122 members of Bangladesh Armed Forces have reached Delhi yesterday to participate in the 2021 Republic Day parade there in commemoration of Bangladesh’s 50th anniversary of independence. Together We Fought, Together We March, proud of 50 years of a friendship beyond strategic partnership.
- The Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry recently announced that the new Foreign Trade Policy. 2021-26 is to come into effect from April 1, 2021 The policy will aim to boost exports.
It will enhance ease of doing business.
- India, Vietnam hold security dialogue, commit to elevate engagement between their armed forces .
- India and Turkmenistan on Wednesday reviewed bilateral ties and agreed to enhance cooperation in the UN and multilateral arena . The 4th round of Foreign Office Consultations were held between India.
- United States cancels its UN ambassador’s controversial trip to Taiwan
- A tripartite meeting between Bangladesh, Myanmar and China for the repatriation of Rohingya refugees will be held on January 19 in Dhaka.
- No contact with the 22 workers trapped underground in an under-construction gold mine in Qixia city in East China’s Shandong Province even after 70 hours of the incident.
- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has made a former astronaut his new foreign minister in a Cabinet reshuffle , sparked by the sudden resignation of high-profile Indian-origin Canadian Sikh minister Navdeep Bains.
- US House begins debate on impeachment of President Donald Trump: A week after President Donald Trump`s supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol, the House of Representatives began debate on Wednesday as lawmakers considered impeaching him for his role in an assault on American democracy that stunned the nation and left five dead.
- Coronavirus Cases:
- Kidambi Srikanth, Saina Nehwal on Wednesday advanced into the second round of the ongoing Thailand Open Super 1000 tournament.
- Union sports Kiren Rijiju meets Sports Goods and Equipment manufacturers, suggest two-pronged method to strengthen industry presence within sports ecosystem.
- The Tokyo 2020 Organizing Committee President Yoshiro Mori said that Tokyo Olympics will be held on July 23 this year with or without COVID-19 as planned. The Games will not be put off to 2024 or even 2032 as the rumors said
$USD 262.18 💷GBP 192.45 SRI LANKAN RUPEE comparison.
🥇Gold Rs.112,740.00 LKR@10 gm 24 (Krt)
🥈 Silver 125,370.00 LKR@ Kg
⛽ Petrol LKR 161.000
⛽ Diesel LKR 104.000
Facts about India
Sankranti संक्रान्ति means transmigration of the Sun from one Rāshi (constellation of the zodiac in Indian astronomy) to the next. Hence, there are 12 Sankrantis in a year.
Lohrdi is a popular winter time Punjabi folk festival, celebrated primarily by Sikhs and Hindus from the Punjab region. Many people believe the festival commemorates the passing of the winter solstice. Lohrdi marks the end of winter season, and is a traditional welcome of longer days and sun’s journey to the northern hemisphere.
Pongal is a Tamil harvest festival. It is same as Thanksgiving Day. In an agriculture based civilization, harvest plays an important role. The farmer cultivating the land depends on his cattle, timely rain and the Sun. The first day of this month is a festival day known as ” Pongal Day “. Pongal means the “boiling over” of milk and rice during the month of Thai.
Thought of the day
Positive anything is better than negative nothing.
Joke of the day
Shaadi mein Pappu bahut der se khana kha raha tha…kisi ne pucha kab tak khaoge ?
Pappu – Main toh khud pareshan hoon …..par card me likha hai,
“Dinner 7 to 12pm”
Wing Commander Rakesh Sharma, AC (born 13 January 1949) is a former Indian Air Force pilot who flew aboard Soyuz T-11 on 3 April 1984 with the Soviet Interkosmos programme. He is the only Indian citizen to travel in space, although there have been other astronauts with an Indian background who were not Indian citizens
Why foods like jaggery, gajak, til ki chikki are offered to the fire on Libro/Boghi 🔥🙏🏻
as a way of paying gratitude to nature.*
On this Lohri festival, It is believed that these food ingredients help cleanse the body, bringing renewed energy for the New Year. Til and Gur both are winter food items, have a long shelf life and sweets made using them last long.
🤔 How it works ⁉
How do crocodiles hold their breath for so long? 🐊
Crocodiles cannot breathe underwater: they breathe air, just like people. When they are not active, they can hold their breath for a maximum of about two hours underwater before drowning. Normally, when underwater, they are active and can hold their breath for a maximum of 20 minutes to one hour.
🛕 VEDIK GNAN
Makara Sankranti or Maghi or simply Sankranthi, is a festival day in the Hindu calendar, dedicated to the deity Surya (sun). … It marks the first day of the sun’s transit into Makara rashi (Capricorn), marking the end of the month with the winter solstice and the start of longer days.
🧬 HEALTH CARE: HOME REMEDIES🩺
( Note : These home tips followed in villages/ancient traditions, it is up to you to use it or not🙏🏻)
Til ke laddu is with unsaturated fats. It can lower our cholesterol levels and reduce your risk of heart disease.
However, if you are adiabetic, do consult your doctor before consuming these too much, as the jaggery in it can boost sugar levels.
CH. Naveen Kumar
🙏PLZ FOLLOW GOVT. NORMS, MAINT SOCIAL DISTANCE, KEEP YOURSELF & YOUR FAMILY SAFE