Today’s Legal Updates
Thursday, 31st March 2022
Legal Awareness :- CONSTITUTION OF INDIA
Part – XII FINANCE, PROPERTY, CONTRACTS AND SUITS
CHAPTER – I FINANCE
Distribution of Revenues between the Union and the States
Article – 277 Savings
Any taxes, duties, cesses or fees which, immediately before the commencement of this Constitution, were being lawfully levied by the Government of any State or by any municipality or other local authority or body for the purposes of the State, municipality, district or other local area may, notwithstanding that those taxes, duties, cesses or fees are mentioned in the Union List, continue to be levied and to be applied to the same purposes until provision to the contrary is made by Parliament by law.
Todays Legal Updates:-
- Today the Bombay High Court directed the directors of Essar Services India Private Limited (ESIPL) and Essar House Private Limited (EHPL) to remain personally present in Court tomorrow in a contempt of court petition. (Arcelor Mittal Nippon Steel India Ltd v. Essar House Private Limited and Essar Services India Private Limited)
- Today the Madras High Court quashed a defamation case against two former Chief Ministers of Tamil Nadu, Edappadi K Palaniswami and O Panneerselvam. (Edappadi K Palaniswami v Va Pugazhendi)
- A 14-year-old girl’s father and uncle, who had spent 3 years in jail after they were accused of raping the girl, were acquitted by a special court in Maharashtra which hears cases under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act (POCSO Act). (The State of Maharashtra vs Abdulrehman Shahjadhussain Shaikh & Anr.)
- Today a Bengaluru City Civil Court restrained educational company Pearson India Education Services from infringing the intellectual property of Bengaluru-based education startup New Rubric Solutions. (New Rubric Solutions LLP v. Pearson India Education Services Pvt Ltd)
- On Monday the Delhi High Court granted interim injunction in favour of liquor brand ‘Magic Moments,’ restraining another company from selling or manufacturing alcohol under the name ‘Evening Moment’. (Radico Khaitan Limited v Sarao Distillery (OPC) Pvt. Ltd & Anr)
- Today the Kerala High Court reserved its verdict on a plea moved by Malayalam cine actor Dileep to quash the first information report (FIR) filed against him and five others for allegedly conspiring to murder the police officers investigating the 2017 actress assault case in which he is an accused. (P Gopalakrishnan @ Dileep v State of Kerala & Ors.)
- Yesterday the Allahabad High Court made some strong observations while granting bail to three Kashmiri students charged with sedition after they allegedly raised pro-Pakistan slogans following Pakistan’s victory in a T-20 Cricket World Cup match against India. (Inayat Altaf Shekh v State of UP)
- Yesterday A Special Court in Bengaluru ordered the police to investigate a complaint against Karnataka Rural Development and Panchayat Raj Minister KS Eshwarappa and another for alleged communal hate speech made after the murder of a Bajrang Dal member, Harsha. (Riyaz Ahamed v. KS Eshwarappa and Anr)
- Yesterday the Meghalaya High Court suggested that ‘flying army checker’ teams be deployed for surprise checks on Army vehicles, after it emerged that they may allegedly be used to traffic drugs. (M Kharkongor vs State of Meghalaya)
- Today A Mumbai court granted bail to Akash Suyal, one of the accused in a case filed by the Mumbai Police for posting insulting statements about women on the Clubhouse smartphone app. (Akash Rakeshkumar Suyal vs The State of Maharashtra & Ors.)
- Today the Calcutta High Court directed the regional head of the Central Board of Investigation (CBI) to initiate questioning of Dr. SP Sinha, long-time advisor of the School Service Commission, during the course of the day. (Laxmi Tunga v The State of West Bengal)
- Today the Rajasthan High Court upheld an order passed by the Jodhpur Bench of the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) which imposed costs of ₹1 lakh on an advocate for filing cases and signing pleadings on behalf of litigants without authorisation. (TC Gupta v. Union of India and ors)
- Today the Patiala House Court Delhi held that merely because a person is a Muslim and governed by personal laws on various issues, he cannot be debarred from availing the rights of Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act. (State v. Ashabuddin)
- Today the Delhi High Court said that it would hear the batch of petitions demanding recognition of same-sex marriage on 17th May 2022.
- Today A Mumbai court granted 60 additional days to the Special Investigation Team (SIT) of the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) to file chargesheet in the cruise ship drug case in which Bollywood actor Shahrukh Khan’s son Aryan Khan is the prime accused.
- Today the Supreme Court asked the Faridabad Municipal Corporation to give ₹2,000 per month to persons allotted flats after they were evicted as part of Khori Gaon jhuggi demolition drive.
- Today the Delhi High Court refused to entertain a public interest litigation (PIL) petition seeking conferment of Bharat Ratna on former Tata Sons chairperson Ratan Tata.
- Yesterday the Bombay High Court was acquitted A man who had spent 9 years in jail in a murder case after he was sentenced to life imprisonment by a Sessions Court. (Madhukar Vijay Mali vs. State of Maharashtra)
- Yesterday the Bombay High Court directed the Maharashtra government to file its response to a public interest litigation (PIL) petition urging the implementation of the Mental Healthcare Act, 2017 across the State.
- Yesterday the Delhi High Court stayed an order passed by the Central government reallocating power generated at Dadri-II plant to Haryana. (BSES Rajdhani Power Limited and Anr v Norther Region Powe Committee and Ors)
- Today Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) MLA Saurabh Bharadwaj moved the Delhi High Court seeking a Special Investigation Team (SIT) probe into the protests and vandalism outside the official residence of Delhi Chief Minister (CM) Arvind Kejriwal. (Saurabh Bharadwaj v. Delhi Police, Union of India)
- Today the Chief Justice of India (CJI) NV Ramana launched the FASTER software, he ask Stressing the need for court orders passed by the higher judiciary to be safely transmitted without tinkering by third parties.
- Today the Mumbai City Civil Court observed there is documentary evidence which proves claims made against Bollywood actor Salman Khan relating to illegal encroachment and violation of the Forest Act, while denying Khan interim relief. (Salman S. Khan vs Ketan Kakkad & Ors.)
- Today Journalist Rana Ayyub has approached the Delhi High Court seeking permission to travel abroad after she was prevented by authorities from boarding a flight to London on Tuesday.
- Today the Supreme Court cancelled the mop up round counselling held for All India Quota (AIQ) of the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) post graduate courses for the year 2021-22 and ordered a fresh mop-up round.
- Today the Delhi High Court issued notice in the bail plea filed by former Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislator Kuldeep Singh Sengar, who was convicted in the 2017 Unnao rape case. (Kuldeep Singh Sengar v. Central Bureau of Investigation and Anr)
- Today the Supreme Court upheld the striking down of a law enacted by the Tamil Nadu government providing 10.5 percent reservation in educational institutions and government jobs to persons from the Vanniyar caste. (Pattali Makkal Katchi v. A Mayilerumperumal And Ors)