Today’s Legal Updates:
Saturday, 18th December 2021
- A local court in Jammu and Kashmir has stated that the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005 (DV Act) was enacted to protect women from violence and not to harass the spouse or aggravate marital dischord. (Shamshada Akhter vs Ajaz Parvaiz Shah)
- Today Yasmeen Wankhede, sister of NCB zonal director Sameer Wankhede, has approached the Mumbai Court with a criminal complaint seeking action against Maharashtra Cabinet Minister leader Nawab Malik for making allegedly defamatory statements against her.
- Today A Mumbai court rejected the plea filed by actress Kangana Ranaut seeking permission to withdraw her criminal complaint against lyricist Javed Akhtar for extortion and refer the same to another competent Magistrate.
- Today A Division Bench of the Delhi High Court has upheld a single-judge order that set aside Air India’s decision of terminating the services of the carrier’s pilots. (Air India Limited v. Kanwardeep Singh Bamrah and Ors.)
- Today Father Fraser Mascarenhas, kin of late Father Stan Swamy has approached the Bombay High Court seeking directions for an enquiry by judicial magistrate to clear late Stan Swamy’s name of the charges which had been invoked against him by the National Investigation Agency (NIA).
- Today A Delhi court granted bail to a man held at Thailand Airport carrying 840 radiated tortoises. (Union of India v Murugesan Manivannan)
- Today Senior Advocate Rajiv Nayar has now written to Delhi High Court Chief Justice, DN Patel, requesting the court to revert to virtual functioning after winter break due to as Coronavirus’ new Omicron variant sweeps across much of the UK and Europe.
- Madhya Pradesh lawyers are set to go on a strike on Monday, December 20 in protest against the manner in which district judges have been dealing with cases causing inconvenience to lawyers and leading to extreme work pressure.
- Today the Delhi Police Special Cell has arrested a scientist with the Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO) for his alleged involvement in orchestrating the low-intensity Rohini Court blast that occurred earlier this month on 9th December.
- Today the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), through its West Bengal president Dilip Ghosh, has approached the Supreme Court against an order of the Calcutta High Court which had declined its plea to deploy central paramilitary forces for the Kolkata Municipal Corporation elections scheduled to be held tomorrow. (Bharatiya Janata Party vs. State of West Bengal)
- Today Former Supreme Court judge, Justice GT Nanavati passed away he was 86 old.
- Today the Supreme Court has asked the Madras High Court Chief Justice to conduct an enquiry into an allegation that a case before the High Court which was decided in 2013, got listed for ‘fresh hearing’ in 2018. (P Nallammal v. Registrar General, High Court of Judicature at Madras and Another)
- Today the Supreme Court upheld a verdict which called for his appointment as a judicial officer, after his candidature was rejected on the ground that his disability, Bipolar Affective Disorder (BPAD), was not of a permanent nature the Bhavya Nain has every reason to be proud.
- Yesterday the Supreme Court dismissed an appeal filed by a journalist challenging his conviction and sentence in a defamation case for writing offensive articles against a lawyer. (DS Vishwanatha Shetty vs. TN Rathnaraj)
- Yesterday A Kanpur based advocate was shot dead on 17th December in the violence that broke out during the Kanpur Bar Association Elections.
- Today A special court in Uttar Pradesh (UP) has convicted Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MLA, Indra Pratap alias Khabbu Tiwari from Ayodhya, in a fake mark sheet case, following which he has been disqualified from the UP Assembly.