Today’s Legal Updates :
- Today The Supreme Court reduced the sentence of a rape convict after noting that the offence had been committed before the Criminal Law (Amendment) Act, 2018, which increased the minimum punishment for rape under Section 376 of Indian Penal Code (IPC) to ten years’ imprisonment.
- Today Central government has notified the appointment of five new judges in Rajasthan High Court are Vinod Kumar Bharwani, Anoop Kumar Dhand, Madan Gopal Vyas, Farzand Ali and Sudesh Bansal.
- Today The Madras High Court directed enhanced payment of ₹5 lakh as compensation to a mentally challenged woman, who the Court found had been mercilessly subjected to violent sexual abuse.
- Today the Allahabad High Court a seven-judge Bench came down heavily on the Uttar Pradesh government on issues pertaining to the infrastructure and functioning of courts in the State.
- Today Bollywood actor Shahrukh Khan son Aryan Khan, which is the prime accused of cruise ship drug case has moved to the Mumbai Sessions Court seeking bail on the ground that he has been falsely implicated in the cruise ship drug case.
- Today The Kerala High Court issued notice on a plea moved by the Kerala High Court Advocates’ Association challenging the Goods and Services Tax (GST) levied on the goods and services provided by it to its own members.
- Today a Mumbai Court remanded a foreign national to judicial custody in the cruise ship drug case in which Shahrukh Khan’s son Aryan Khan is the prime accused.
- Today the Madras High Court enhanced the compensation payable to a boy found to have been repeatedly sodomised by a man over the course of a week, while confirming a trial court conviction in a case under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act.
- Today additional sessions court, Kollam in Kerala held Sooraj was found guilty of the murder of his wife 25-year-old wife Uthra by getting her bitten by an Indian cobra.
- Today Justice Rajesh Bindal has been sworn in as Chief Justice of the Allahabad High Court.
- Today The Gauhati High Court granted bail to an man who was arrested for allegedly posting on Facebook that the Taliban in Afghanistan are not terrorists.
- Today Justices Yashwant Varma and Chandra Dhari Singh were sworn in as judges of the Delhi High Court.
- Today the Bombay High Court held that a person disfigured due to violent assaults by throwing of any corrosive substance will be considered as an ‘acid attack victim’ under the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act and would therefore be eligible for compensation.
- The contributions made by leftist lawyers to the development of Constitutional law have not been documented well enough, Orissa High Court Chief Justice Dr. S Muralidhar said on Sunday while urging law researchers to make efforts to examine and write about it.
- Today The Kerala High Court reserved for orders the matter assailing the single judge decision allowing early administration of the second dose of COVISHIELD vaccine to the workers of two petitioner companies before completion of the prescribed 84 day-gap.
- Today The Gwalior Bench of the Madhya Pradesh High Court has ordered the State and Gwalior Municipal Corporation [GMC] to submit a compliance report to the Madhya Pradesh State Road Safety Policy, 2015.
- Today Union Minister of State for Home Ajay Misra ‘Teni’s son and prime accused in the Lakhimpur Kheri Violence incident, Ashish Misra has been sent to Three-day police remand with conditions by a Lakhimpur court.
- Today The Kerala High Court has ruled that sanction stipulated under Section 197 Code of Criminal Procedure is not necessary to prosecute police officers in cases of police brutality since such acts are not related in any manner to the discharge of their official duties.
- On Friday The Kerala High Court granted police protection to a transportation contractor and his employees in a plea where he alleged that certain NFSA godown workers illegally obstructed the distribution of ration articles in Cheriyanadu.
- Today The Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) has arrested twenty persons up until today in the cruise ship drug case in which Aryan Khan, son of Bollywood actor Shahrukh Khan is the prime accused.
- Today Justice Ritu Raj Awasthi too oath as the Chief Justice of the Karnataka High Court at the Glass House of Raj Bhavan, Bengaluru.
- Today The Central government notified the transfer of seven High Court judges.
1. Justice Rajan Gupta – Punjab & Haryana High Court to Patna High Court
2. Justice TS Sivagnanam – Madras to Calcutta
3. Justice Sureshwar Thakur – Himachal Pradesh to Punjab and Haryana
2. Justice PB Bajanthri – Karnataka to Patna
3. Justice Sanjeev Prakash Sharma – Rajasthan to Patna
4. Justice T Amarnath Goud – Telangana to Tripura
5. Justice Subhash Chand – Allahabad to Jharkhand