1.The Delhi High Court held that the court cannot permit quashing of FIR merely on the ground that the parties have entered into a compromise where the FIR relates to heinous offences against small children under sec. 377 of Indian Penal Code and POCSO Act.
2.Freelance Journalist and contributor for the Caravan magazine, Mandeep Punia, who was detained from the Singhu border was presented before Court number 2 (Tihar Jail) by Delhi Police and the Metropolitan Magistrate Akhil Malik has sent him to 14-Day Judicial Custody.
3.The Supreme Court reiterated that the power of a Trial Court under Section 319 of the Criminal Procedure Code to proceed against other persons appearing to be guilty of offence is a discretionary and extra-ordinary power which has to be exercised sparingly.
4.Hansa Research Group, the complainant in the Television Rating Points Scam (TRP Scam) has sought to transfer the investigation into the scam, from the Mumbai Police to the CBI, only after realising its “nexus” with the accused TV channels was being investigated, the Mumbai Police has said in an affidavit to the Bombay High Court.
5.The High Court of Delhi refused to set aside the Trial Court’s order directing extension in the period of investigation and custody of the accused for a period of 45 days with directions to the investigating agency to expedite the investigation.
6.The Madhya Pradesh High Court on Friday (29th January) issued a notice (returnable by eight weeks) to the Madhya Pradesh State Government in a plea challenging the anti-religious conversion law (The Madhya Pradesh Freedom of Religion Ordinance, 2020).
7.Delhi High Court dismissed a writ petition filed by an ex officer of Delhi Higher Judicial Services (DHJS) who was dismissed from service after complaints of sexual harassment at workplace was filed by a female ahalmad of District Court, Dwarka.
8. The Supreme Court Advocates On Record Association has on Sunday (31.01.21) written to the Chief Justice of India seeking resumption of physical hearings with the existing virtual Courts in a hybrid manner.
9. The Supreme Court has been moved in a PIL challenging the constitutionality of Rule 6(1) of the Indian Police Service ( Cadre) Rules, 1954 for conferring powers on the Central government to override the states in matters of transfer and deputation of IPS cadre officers.
10. Over 300 enrolment certificates were distributed to advocates in Chandigarh’s Law bhavan.
11. The Delhi High Court has sought for a response from the Central Government and AAJ TAK in petitions alleging that vicious campaigns are being led against the Sikh Community.
12. The Apex Court has sent a notice to Twitter, Facebook, and Whatsapp to hold them directly responsible for spreading hate speech.
13. The Mumbai Court has sent a notice to Kangana Ranaut in the defamation suit filed by Javed Akhtar.
14. The Apex Court in “Spiritual Gurus” Hebeas Plea observed that daughter being in parents custody doesn’t always amount to illegal detention.
15. SG seeks Supreme Court more time to discuss the matter of giving an extra attempt to UPDC aspirants.